Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Round 2 a Success

L finally had her tonsils and adenoids removed this past Monday.  This happened a week after we were originally supposed to have it done but like most everything else that happens in the Ravan household you don't always get what you expect.  Oh well, at least we had a good doctor willing to work with us and one who understood we wanted to do it while it was Christmas break.  So we got up Monday morning early at 4:15 in order to be at the hospital for surgery prep at 5:45. 
The nurses were wonderful as always in Norman.   Can't say I've ever had a bad experience with any of them.  In order to get L to relax and thankfully not leave us screaming they gave her a sedative which helped to calm her.  I can't say I've ever seen my daughter that calm.  It was almost humerous!  We were able to talk to her without her trying to poke our eyes out or choke us (one of her ways of playing) and instead she just smiled sweetly and answered our questions with a nod or shake of her head.  After the sedative had taken complete effect they took L back for surgery along with Pat, her stuffed horse.   I was extremely nervous and prayed most of the time she was away from me. 
After about an hour L's nurse finally came to give us a report.  I had begun to think after about an hour of not hearing anything that there were complications or something else.  I guess it's my nature to think the worst.  L's nurse was extremely kind.  She said they'd finished and L would be returned to us soon. 
L was brought to us by her surgical nurse and the anesthiologist who'd administered her sedative.   They oohed and awed over her telling us how pretty she is and what a doll.  Of course I know all this but I just cuddled my daughter and tried to comfort her.   She was initially upset because of the IV in her hand.  As she faded in and out of sleep she tried to pick at it so I had to hold her hands in order to keep her from pulling it out.   Then the nurses left and Josh went to grab a bite of breakfast for us.  In the short amount of time he was gone L's stomach acted up and I had to call a nurse for help!  It was scarey for me, but the nurse came quickly and helped clean L and I up.  She said it was normal for that to happen and gave her some medicine to calm her belly.  She was my hero for a brief few 5 minutes!!!  I know I would never be successful at a job like hers.
L slept for probably a good hour before any of the drugs started to wear off. We actually had to wake her up so we could get her started on a cup of milk.  She had to be drinking and keeping things down before they let us leave to come home.  She did so well from that point on.  She actually drank a whole pint of milk pretty quickly without any problems so they let us check out about 11 am.  We had gone fully expecting an overnight stay so we were glad to be leaving so she could heal comfortably at home.
When we got home I didn't expect her to eat anything but the first thing she asked for when we walked in the door was a "chocolate cookie", also known as an Oreo.  She also ate ramen noodles and crackers.  I was thrilled!
We are into the third day now, what many people tell me will be one of the harder days.  They also tell me her breath will stink like something's crawled down her throat and died.   My plan is to take one day at a time and cover my daughter in prayer. 
To all our friends and family THANK YOU for your prayers and concern for her.  We will keep you updated on her recovery and we love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment