I have had a lot of prayers answered in my life. Many that I'm sure I'm not even aware of. Some of the ones I remember are God blessing me with a husband who would love me for who I am unconditionally, a birthmom who chose me to be the mother of her baby, the chance to experience pregnancy all the way through, and two wonderful children who give me great joy. I thank God for these everyday. There is one thing I have been praying a long time for though, probably more fervently than anything I've ever asked God for. That being the salvation of my children. God answered part of that prayer for D this week!!!
I began praying for his salvation as soon as Josh and I decided to starting trying to get pregnant. Even as the months passed and it didn't happen for us I still prayed for this. Then He led us down the adoption path. Of course then I started praying more specifically for our baby but salvation was always at the top of the list. I lack the words to describe the emotion I felt when D was born. I was overwhelmed and so full of happiness and grateful that God had picked us to take care of this precious child. More than that He was entrusting D into our teaching. That's a scarey thought! From the night we brought him home we've sung him songs about Jesus, read him Bible stories, and pointed him to the cross. He knows that we are a family because God created our family. All this teaching finally began to produce questions this summer. Some we could answer others we couldn't, but we were always honest with him. Then last month AWANA (Approved Workmen Are Not Ashamed) started back up at church. This is a Bible club program through our church that teaches children about the Bible and encourages them to memorize scripture. D's been a part of it for 3 years now. His teachers are wonderful and very thorough. They take their task seriously. Also this past weekend D's little friend, Emma, prayed and asked for forgiveness of her sins...she became a Christian. When I shared this wonderful news with D he asked "Why'd she do that?!" It was a funny reaction but opened the door for some conversation. I told him that she'd realized she was a sinner and needed Jesus. He got this sad look on his face and when I asked him what was wrong he said "I want to do that." So Josh talked with him that morning for a while about it. After some conversation he decided he wasn't ready and we dropped it figuring he's too young, but knew that God had been working in our son's heart. Then Tuesday morning as we were walking out the door for school he asks me "How long does it take to become a Christian?" I told him it happens instantly and all you have to do is pray, ask for forgiveness and believe in Jesus. Again he said "I want to do that" so I said we'd talk to dad after school. He couldn't wait for Josh to walk in the door that evening. He was on him like white on rice! "Dad we need to talk." Josh talked with him for almost a good hour. We both had our concerns about him being young and just doing it because his friend did it. Josh asked him a thousand questions. The head knowledge was definately there, but our concerns still lingered. D, however would not let it go. He even asked Josh what he was supposed to say when he prayed. I suspect he would have gone ahead and prayed on his own! Josh prayed with him though and D became a Christian on Tuesday, October 5, 2010!!!
I still have my concerns and fears. I definately feel like I have a bigger job as the mother of a believer. I am eternally grateful though. Even more happy than the day this wonderful little boy came into my life!!! The verse in Matthew 19:14 is a great encouragement to me too: "Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these." We would have been hindering D from coming to Christ if we'd put him off. Sure he will have more questions as he grows and matures in his faith, but for now he has the faith of a child who just accepts this awesome gift for what it is. Free, simple, and completely uncomplicated! And I will praise my God who has answered this prayer for my son til the day I die!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment