So I was thinking the other day about this summer. It's gone by so quickly (that's the worst part about summer), but I've accomplished a lot and had a lot of "firsts". By this I mean things that I've done or tried for the first time ever. Here are just a few...
1. a vegetable garden
2. made a dress for L, almost w/o mom's help
3. trip to San Antonio/Sea World
4. kitchen remodel
5. hostessing a ladies Bible study in my home, which throughly blessed me!
Well, as I was thinking I began to think beyond this summer about the firsts I've had in my life and how much joy I've received from experiencing them. Following are some of my favorites:
1. My first love. Okay not to get all mushy, but Josh was honestly my first REAL boyfriend. I had had "puppylove" boyfriends and dated a few guys (none that were really husband material mind you) but never had a serious boyfriend until I met Josh. Most relationships previous to him lasted about 2 weeks...if that! He treated me different. Special. And he still does!
2. The first time Josh and I walked into the nursery and met D! This is one of my all time favorites forever burned upon my heart. It was the perfect setting. Josh and I had prayed for months (what felt like years) for this moment and there he was as we walked in the room. Lying all by himself in a nursery bed in an empty room. No other babies or nurses...just him. I have always felt that as I walked in that room it was God's way of saying we both needed each other. I'll never forget it.
3. My first physical pregnancy. I say physical because we were pregnant with D in a different way. We experienced EVERYTHING a couple does during pregnancy with him minus the physical part of it. Anyway, being pregnant with L was a totally awesome experience. Those of you who know me will agree it wasn't all a party for me but it was wonderful. I loved being able to feel her move around inside me. That was AMAZING!
4. Our first purchase together...a $200 television set. We bought the tv a couple of months before we got married. It was a great learning experience about ourselves as a couple. It taught us about working together and how to communicate our wants and needs. It also taught me that although it takes my husband forever to make a decision that the time spent educating himself about a large purchase is usually well spent in the end. Btw the tv was still working when we replaced it this past year!
5. My first swim meet. I'll never forget how nervous I was or how much I thought I'd fail and embarass myself. The first time I got up on the block I was the last person in a 400 relay. Now if you know anything about swimming a relay such as this you know that each person does a 100 before the next one in line goes. Well...let's just say we hadn't trained that way in practice so when it was my turn I jumped in after the person in front of me's first 50. I had no idea what I'd done until I was returning from my first 50 and the girls were slapping the water yelling at me to stop! Yes, I was totally embarassed, but I discovered something about myself...I LOVED swimming! Hated the 5am practices but loved swimming competetively itself.
The following are without explanation as this could get REALLY long if I did that...
6. Our first house. Lots and lots of memories!!!
7. Selling our first house :(
8. Our first dog, Harley.
9. My first REAL teaching job and the wonderful ladies I still work with.
10. My first car, a gold 1987 Honda Accord.
11. My first college class. Yes, I am a bigole (as D would say) nerd! I loved school. I love learning and I love reading!!!
12. Meeting my inlaws for the first time. I am incredibly blessed with two wonderful set of family!!!
13. Our first church home as a couple, Trinity.
I could go on and on but his whole talk of first brings the verse Mattew 6:33 to mind: "But seek FIRST his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well." The is to be the most important FIRST thing in our lives EVERYDAY! I believe my family is blessed only because we have made God the first priority in our lives. Where is He on your list of priorities?
I had no idea that happened to you at your first swim meet! How funny! I am surprised there wasn't a wreck in the pool.
ReplyDelete